Improving Wi-Fi in garage plus free cloud management with ExtremeCloud IQ
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel
The Wi-Fi signal in the garage and upstairs hasn’t been working too well at home. I have a couple of spare Extreme Networks cloud capable access points (previously Aerohive APs) and an Extreme Networks x440g2-24t that I pick up from eBay. The plan is to install an AP in the garage, the other upstairs, and the x440g2 will be setup in my home office.
Detailed list of the Extreme Networks gear:
- AP121, Dual radio 2.4Ghz/5Ghz 802.11n Access Point
- AP150w, Dual radio 2.4Ghz/5Ghz 802.11ac Wall Plate Access Point
- X440g2-24t-10G, 24x10/100/1000Gb (non PoE), 4x10Gb SFP+
Even though the APs are cloud managed capable, I could use SSH for configuration and there’s always the good old CLI for the x440g2 switch. However the Extreme Networks x440g2 also happens to support cloud management. It would be fantastic to be able to use cloud management for both my APs and the switch, because who wants to use CLI to manage SOHO gear? Not me.
The Cloud Managed Solution
For most it all comes down to cost. However, if you’re not familiar with Extreme Networks then you probably don’t know that Extreme offers a “FREE” network cloud management tier. That’s right I said free. When you initially setup an ExtremeCloud IQ account, you have the option to select “Connect” which is a free cloud management tier.
Once I had all the gear powered on, I onboarded everything to my ExtremeCloud IQ Connect account. Being that Connect is free, it doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles that a license would provide, however I found things work quite well for home use.
Here’s a list of the main items which you can configure with the free tier:
- Wireless/Switch DNS, NTP, SNMP, Syslog, LLDP configuration
- Wireless Enterprise wpa/wpa2/wpa3 (w/radius configuration)
- Wireless PSK wpa/wpa2/wpa3 w/Captive Web Portal option
- Wireless Unsecured w/Captive Web Portal option
- Wireless SSID configuration supports IP/MAC based firewall rules
- Wireless Radio/Ethernet/VLAN settings
- Switch STP Mode/Settings
- Switch STP Port Settings
- Switch VLAN untagged/tagged configuration
- Switch MTU Settings
- Switch port storm control configuration