I finally deployed my wireless raspberry pi network monitoring device at the edge of our wireless network. I installed the smokeping app on the raspberry pi with wheezy via apt-get. I already had a smokeping running on a Linux server, so I setup the raspberry pi to run smokeping in client mode.
Client mode allows the raspberry pi to pull the config from the smokeping server in order to know what tests to run. I setup some fping, DNS, and tcpping tests. This is a great way to test the client’s wireless experience (latency) on the other side of campus. I stuck the raspberry pi behind a bundle of cables to provide for additional attenuation to simulate a user in a worse case scenario. The AP was a few rooms away on a different floor as well. Here are some of the smokeping graphs:
The line with the higher latency is the raspberry pi to google and the lower line is the latency from the smokeping server to google via fping in the picture above.
Here’s a longer term graph painted vi rrdtool by smokeping. There’s some packet loss going on over the wireless interface on the raspberry pi. I may have to move it to a better spot and see how the graphs look afterward. I also want to install iperf and maybe tshark as well.
Here’s the command to get the raspberry pi running in client mode:
/usr/sbin/smokeping –master-url=http://yoursmokepingcgiurl.com/smokeping.cgi –cache-dir=/var/smokeping/ –shared-secret=/var/smokeping/secret.txt
I also had to modify the permissions in the /tmp/smokeping-ms/data/ folder on the server in order to allow the rrds to be modified by apache.